Friday, January 19, 2007

Bonjour!

September 23, 2006
Archive


Hello! Well, I'm here in France after a very long day of travel by plane, bus, train, and car. Fortunately, the woman I'm staying loves cheese, so my travels have been rewarded. Nelly is her name and she is a professor of English at the University, my colleague, and as of Thursday my adopted French mother, feeding me, touring me around, letting me use her phone and internet. She is SO wonderfully nice and interesting. I can tell already that my stay in France this time will be a lot different than my last stay because my language skills are so much better. I am starting here with the level I left with last time, and it's already increasing my access to people and information.

I am currently in the lovely town of Narbonne. It is a town full of history (capital of the once Roman-ruled parts of France, capital of a former dukedom, etc.)and much beauty with a canal running through the center of town, and a huge ancient chateau and cathedrale surrounded by outdoor cafes, and of course a Monoprix.

I have to interupt myself here for a minute- Nelly just brought me tea and cake on a little tray. She is SO sweet! Maybe the karma from helping French teachers at PFS is finally coming round? :)

Anyway, I think I've written enough to properly bore you (or peak your interest to keep reading...?), and I won't write again until I have something truly fascinating to share!

I hope you are all doing very well, and I hope to hear from you soon!

~Rebecca~

No comments: