October 18, 2006
Archive
Ok, here we go. I believe last time I was going to the theater and making plans for the weekend. Well, I went to the theater, and then on Saturday, Michi and I went to Perpignan. It's a wonderful city further South, with Catalan and Spanish influences. We did all the tourist things in the morning, including walking around a fortress/palace full of old chapels and state rooms, and an amazing 360 degree view from the roof top. Then, we had a picnic, and took the bus to the beach. Great sand, bright blue water and bright blue sky, and warm enough to put on sunscreen and lay in the sun. We sunbathed and read, and then bought some churros and headed back to town to catch the train.
On Sunday, Michi and Jana and I went for a hike in the country. Jana has a car (hooray!), which means that we got to actually get into the real country side. We drove out of town into the Corberes, and parked at a tiny village (population 53) called Termes. We started our hike there, which took us for about four hours through peaceful creekside paths, incredibly steep rocky climbs, high plateaus filled with thyme and goat shit, past beautiful vineyards with leaves turning orange and red, and through chestnuts groves where we gathered chestnuts. The hike ended at the Cathar chateau. We explored the ruins, and then drove to a slightly larger town to have a coffee, and then back home. When we got home, Jana started cooking a soup for dinner, and I went to meet the Spanish language assistant, who JUST arrived that night (Sunday). She is from Cuba (which is why it's taken her so long to arrive...she couldn't get her visa, etc.), and she doesn't speak a word of French. She understands hello and goodbye, but that's about it. It's amazing to hear her talk about Cuba. She said that France to her is not just another world, it's another planet (which is good, because we need to replace Pluto...). I feel sorry for her, she is so scared and lost here, and is a very shy girl anyway, so she's not really open to the new language and experience. And living in Cuba, she's never been anywhere or seen anything. Like fresh milk in the grocery store was incredible to her. I can't even imagine how isolated that life must be, and how unbelievable it would be to leave for the first time, and come to France which oozes excess and freedom. So Sunday evening, Michi, Jana, Najmi, and my friend Julie all had delicious butternut squash, chestnut and potato soup at my apartment.
On Monday, I bought bus tickets for my trip to Spain! Barcelona, Granada, and Madrid. I'm SO excited! I had five hours of teaching on Monday, and then I got to go to writing group! I love this group. I love that I get to get together twice a month with a few other writers and discuss characters and plot and writing strategies. It's so comforting and inspiring, and really makes me feel balanced and healthy. This time, Jana came along with me, and that was really fun!
Tuesday was more teaching, all day, and then a goodbye dinner for my friend Marcus who is going back to Germany, and then a party at the IUFM (the school where I teach) with plenty of music to dance to and strong punch to drink. I hung out with my students/friends and that was really fun!
Today is work in the morning, errands in the afternoon (going to join the gym!!!! :) ), and then who knows?
My flickr name is becincarca, so look me up, check out my pictures, and add me to your contacts!
I hope you're all doing well! Talk to you soon!
Friday, January 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment