But I HAVE been to Pompei! It was so much bigger than I imagined. Denser, more modern, better preserved. Entire houses with still-vivid frescoes and green gardens. Little shops, that just like today, sold food, jewelery, even sex. Walking through and among so much history in Rome, Pompei, even in Carcassonne, I find comfort and humor and maybe a common thread linking the past and the present. The fact that it has always been the same basic things that sustain and entertain us makes me feel connected with the long spectrum of time. Whether we were born in 1979 or in 79 ad, we still enjoy a good meal, good theater, and good lovin! We still deal with violence, and even create it for sport and leisure. Children, given open space and free time, will still play and laugh about the same things. I find it comforting that no matter how much time passes, we are still basically the same people seeking the same things.
Tuesday, March 13, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I hope you saw the ancient Pompein corn dog stand, their motto "get 'em while there hot." dad
Post a Comment