The rugged coastline presses in and out of the ocean like an amorous wave. Shell-colored buildings are scattered here and there. Cliffs and rock faces form natural castles and roads give the hills terrace-like structure. There are groves of lemon trees and green things climbing vertically up from the sea, sheltered from the wind with gauze and tarpaulin, exposed to the warm salty air.
Amalfi itself is a charming town with a beautiful brightly painted duomo rising above the town square. I pause here, a few moments on a port, looking around, breathing. Then I wander about the tiny town, losing myself in its streets.
People smile saying hello, and I wonder if being surrounded with beauty makes people more peaceful and kind? There are stairs that lead in all directions, up the mountain sides, and tunnels that connect one shop to another. Roof-top terraces and glass enclosed living rooms hang out over the water.
The whole scene looks organic, like the houses and churches formed at the same time as the jagged cliffs, taking on the colors of the sky and the sea. It is peaceful. I smile.
1 comment:
Rebecca, what a wonderful description of a city! This looks so beautiful.
Post a Comment