The question I pose tonight is not just the idle rambling of a homesick traveler...non! It the fact that the things I hold most dear and delightful about Portland (bikes, beer, and a weird yet comforting atmosphere) are to be found in every corner, street, and square of both Leipzig and Berlin. If not for the different language, I would feel very much at home here.
Leaving Carcassonne was difficult, but I made it through with a week of parties, meals, and fun. I had a party on Thursday night at the pub (after a dinner party for friends where I cooked a Thai curry that was too spicy for their delicate French palates!), and then spent the weekend with friends before leaving from Narbonne on Saturday night. I took the night train to Strasbourg (I tried to sleep, but didn't much succeed), and once I got there, caught a train to Kehl, Germany, where I bought my Good Weekend ticket. This ticket (only on Saturdays on Sundays) allows travel on regional trains all through Germany for 33 euros. I had to get from Southern Germany to just south of Berlin, in one day, on only regional trains. 12 hours passed (with 11 different train changes!), and I was finally in the loving arms of my friend Jana.
I spent a couple of days with her and her family, and we saw the region, many small perfect villages, and went to the sauna. Then we went with Jana's boyfriend Sascha to Halle, where they live. We spent a few relaxing days in Halle, Weimar, and Leipzig, and then on Friday, Jana and I got a rideshare to Berlin, where we spent the weekend together! Berlin is one of the coolest cities ever (so I say that for almost every city I visit, but it really is AMAZING!!), and I've been having so much fun just hanging out here, walking every where and being amongst so much modern history! Jana left on Sunday evening, we were in Potsdam, so I've spent the last day or two just rambling around on my own, meeting people and seeing things.
Tomorrow I leave to go to London to stay with Andrew and Alexis (my old roommates and very good friends!). I am very excited to see them, and to visit London and the UK!
I hope you're all doing well! Stay in touch!
Monday, April 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Sounds wonderful! We miss you bunches!!
Ditto to what Celeste says. I cannot wait to see you again! It sounds like you continue to see and experience a million things.
Post a Comment