NOTE: Read this for the quick synopsis. I will be adding longer essays on Rome, Naples and Pompei in a few days!
Winter vacation was a wonderful two week voyage in Spain and Italy! I went with my friend Emily to Girona, Spain and then Rome, Naples, and Salerno. Along our way, we visited the Dali Museum in Figures, the ruins of Pompei, and the Amalfi Coast.
Figueres, Spain: The Dali Museum
This museum, in the old theater, was designed and renovated by Dali himself to be a personal museum. The building itself is a piece of surrealistic artwork. It is an immense bright pink structure with huge eggs on the roofs, and an Epcot-style dome. Inside, the galleries are full of paintings and drawings, as well as enormous installations and 3D representations of 2-dimensional works. For anyone who is a Dali fan, this is a definite must-see!
Girona, Spain
We went to Girona because our Ryanair flight left from there, but we discovered a charming university town with beautiful winding streets, gardens, tons of history, and very warm people. We spent two nights there at the beginning of our trip, walking around the old town and the old Jewish quarter, and seeing the sites. We met kind people, including an old priest who showed us back behind the altar of the church, and told us the story of the sculptures. It's a lovely town that we really enjoyed. From Girona, we flew to Rome.
Rome, Italy
Please see “When in Rome”
Naples, Italy (includes Pompei)
Please see “Naples”
Salerno, Italy (includes Amalfi)
A beautiful little resort town on the Amalfi Coast. It has a long promenade on the waterfront where everyone takes an evening walk. The highlight of these two days was taking the bus along the Amalfi Coast from Salerno to Amalfi. It was quite possibly one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.
Girona, Spain
For one more night on the return.
Carcassonne, France
After a wonderful vacation, it was nice to be back in Carcassonne and see friends!
3 comments:
I'm glad you're writing about your journeys. It's almost as good as being there with you. dad
That looks wonderful! Je suis tellement jalouse. Looking forward to reading more about your adventures!
I already told you but I'll tell you again... I hate that you went to Pompei without me!! The jealousy maketh me blind!
Post a Comment